Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Questions about World War I

1. When did World War I (The Great War) begin, and why? (What was the immediate cause?) Between what two groups of allies was it fought? Give the name and member countries for each of the opposing sides.
         -World War I began on July 28, 1914. The immediate cause was the assassination of Franz Ferdinand (the archduke of Austria-Hungary) in 1914. His death at the hands of Gavrilo Princip propelled the major European military powers towards war. World War I began as a local war between Austria-Hungary and Siberia. Shortly, it grew into a war involving 32 countries. Allies included Britain, France, Russia, Italy, and the United States. These countries found against the Central powers which included Germany, Austria-Hungary, Ottoman Empire, and Bulgaria.

Link


2. When and why did the US enter the war?
         -US entered WWI on April 6, 1917. Joined its allies, Britain, France and Russia to fight. Under command of Major General John J. Pershing more than 2 million soldiers fought on France battlefields. Disagreements in europe over territory came to a head with the assassination of the archduke. Exactly one month later war broke out.

Link

3. When and why did World War I come to and end?
          -The final allied push towards the German boarders began on October 17, 1918. As the British, French, and American armies advanced, the alliance between the Central powers began to collapse. Turkey signed an armistice at the end of October, and Austria-Hungary followed.

Link

4. What were the terms of the major agreement ending the war? Why did the US not ratify this treaty, even though President Wilson had played such a major role in negotiating it?
      -US didnt sign The Treaty of Versailles, because it objected to its terms.
             1.   Germany had to accept the Blame for starting the war (Clause 231).  This was vital because it provided the justification for...
2.   Germany had to pay £6,600 million (called Reparations) for the damage done during the war.
3.   Germany was forbidden to have submarines or an air force.   She could have a navy of only six battleships, and an Army of just 100,000 men.   In addition, Germany was not allowed to place any troops in the Rhineland, the strip of land, 50 miles wide, next to France.
4.   Germany lost Territory (land) in Europe (see map, below). Germany’s colonies were given to Britain and France.

5. Come up with a question of your own. What would you like to know? What do the facts about World War I make you wonder?
      -What was the total number of deaths at the end of World War I?



No comments:

Post a Comment