Philanthropy is
the desire to promote welfare to others, expressed especially by the generous
donation of money to good causes. Many people wonder, how is philanthropy
different than charity? Charity is the kindly or sympathetic disposition to aid
the needy as a result of deep feeling or understanding of their misery or
suffering. Charity and philanthropy over lap in many ways, yet they are still
vaguely different. Charity is giving, Philanthropy is doing.
This year in US
history, I studied Andrew Carnegie and John D. Rockefeller. I did not know they
were both invested in so much philanthropy. I researched the relationship with
the two “richest men” at the time and became familiar with the competition
between the two brilliant men. Andrew Carnegie retired in 1901 at age 66 as the
world richest man. As a child, his neighbor, Colonel James Anderson, allowed
any working boys to use his personal library with no charge. As a result, after
retiring at age 66, in 1901 as the world’s richest man, Carnegie wanted to
become a Philanthropist. In 1902, he founded Carnegie Institution to fund
scientific research and established a pension fund for teachers with 10 million
dollar donation. Carnegie built more than 2,000 public libraries. He gave 125
million dollars to Carnegie Corporation to aid schools. World Peace was
something else Carnegie strongly supported. He established the Carnegie
Endowment for International Peace. By 1911, Carnegie had given away 90% of his
fortune.
Just like Andrew
Carnegie, Rockefeller invested his time in becoming a philanthropist.
Rockefeller began giving when anti-trust forces closed on his standard oil
company. He began by creating the University of Chicago. Carnegie and Rockefeller began to almost
“compete” against each other. It became a philanthropic rivalry. Several people
question, would these men have had such a philanthropic rivalry if the
newspapers had not been reporting it?” I believe the rival between the two was
based on there title, “the richest men in the world.” Who could give more, and
who would give more? I believe Carnegie is more of a true philanthropist,
because he grew up around philanthropy, which made him invest his time into it.
His Carnegie Foundation continues to endow.
Today, the number
one philanthropist is Facebook founder, Mark Zuckerberg, and his wife,
Priscilla Chan. The couple gave 18 million shares of Facebook, valued 992.2
million to Silicon Valley Community Foundation. In 2010, Zuckerberg gave 100 million
to establish Startup: Education. Another
familiar philanthropist today is America’s richest man, Bill Gates. Gates is
using millions to effect major social change around the globe. Since 2000, the
Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation have given away 30 billion. The foundation is working to eliminate polio
in three countries. In September, the foundation pledges 50 million to fight
Ebola in West Africa. Gates announced in November the foundation would spend
500 million to fight malaria.
“Philanthropy
means far more than simply having a large bank account, it means using your
resources’-whatever they may be-the make the world a better place by tackling
its problems at their roots.” (Jon Zella-Richard Shineman Foundation) Just like
Gates, Zuckerberg, Carnegie, and Rockefeller, if I had billions of dollars, I
would become a philanthropist. I would open a facility to help families cope
with Dementia and Alzheimer’s, because I was beside my grandfather as he
battled with dementia the past ten years. After letting go of my granddad on
December 27, 2014 I want to help families going through the same thing my
family and I went through. My facility would also serve as a research center.
Also, councilors will be there to help cope with the stages of dementia,
including death.
Philanthropy in American History sources:
![]() |
| An example of what I would do if I was a philanthropist. Open a facility to help families cope with dementia |
http://www.afscenter.org/philanthropy/partners-in-caring.aspx
![]() |
| Mark Zuckerberg, founder of Facebook, starts Startup: Education-http://www.borgenmagazine.com/zuckerbergs-startup-education-classrooms/ |
![]() |
| Carnegie Library-http://ncpedia.org/carnegie-libraries |
![]() |
| Bill Gates helping fight polio-http://www.boomsbeat.com/articles/71/20140109/50-things-you-didnt-know-about-bill-gates.htm |
![]() |
| An example of Carnegie being a philanthropist-http://imgarcade.com/1/andrew-carnegie-philanthropy/ |





No comments:
Post a Comment