Monday, December 15, 2014

US History- First Semester Summary Activity

Ashley Lurie
December 12, 2014

During this semester, I learned a wide variety of information about the history of the United States, beginning with Reconstruction in Chapter 15, and ending with Emerging Industrial Supremacy & Industrial Workers in the New Economy, in Chapter 17. Everything in between, such as Native Americans, and the Age of the City were most pleasing to me.
I was pleasantly surprised to learn how to write a film review. Being a visual learner, watching a film is more satisfying than reading from the text, and comprehending it. I enjoyed watching 12 Years a Slave produced by Steve McQueen, and Glory produced by Edward Zwick. The most interesting part of this process was researching the movies, and hearing what the filmmaker’s intentions really were. I also enjoyed learning about the Age of the City. In 1872, Montgomery Ward contributed a catalog of consumer goods in association with the farmers’ organization. By the 1880s, he was offering thousands of items at low prices to farmers throughout the Middle West. Facing competition with Sears Roebuck, established by Richard Sears. These catalogs changed lives of many isolated people, introducing them to new trends. I love shopping, so Marshall Field in Chicago, and Macys in New York caught my attention. I think it is interesting how they brought together the idea of a big Department store.
I was unpleasantly surprised to learn about the aggressive abuse to slaves. I never realized how badly slaves were treated until we watched 12 Years A Slave. Racial issues last to this day, buy they do not even compare to what they were.
I will be able to remember the cruel behavior white people gave to black people, and all of the racial issues 10 years from now. I will also be able to remember to use empathy over sympathy in the future. If I go into nursing, I will be able to use empathy everyday and put myself into my patient’s shoes, without feeling pity for them.
America has always struggled with racism. I believe racism is still an issue today. For example the recent Ferguson shooting that has lead to riots and racial tension all throughout the United States.
Historians tend to name various eras in history. From what I have learned in United States history this semester, I think “The Transportation Age” is the most suitable name for the period 1865-1920. By 1910, the industry had become a major force in the economy. The automobile was beginning to reshape American Social and Cultural life, and the nations landscape. Innovations and rapid developments were occurring at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment