Safety in
the workplace was not something that people worried about before the birth of
industrialization. When hundreds of young women died due to the Triangle Fire,
the public began to demand some reforms. A dropped match on the 8th
floor of Triangle Shirtwaist Factory sparked a fire that killed over a hundred
people locked inside. Private industry of American factory would never be the
same.
The Triangle Waist Company was a
factory in the heart of Manhattan, at 23-29 Washington Place, at the Northern
corner of Washington Square East. In New York City, on March 25, 1911 a fire
broke out in the Triangle Factory and killed 146 workers. Unfortunately many of
the women working in the Factory were Italian and European Jewish immigrants
coming to the U.S. to find peace. Within 18 minutes of the fire, 146 people
were dead. 25 young women threw themselves down elevator shafts trying to
escape. The water streams from hoses could not reach the 7th floor.
19 bodies were found fried against locked doors. 25 bodies were found bundled
in the cloakroom. “The Triangle Shirtwaist Fire of 1911 would change the
regulation by government of business. Before the fire government had mostly stayed
away from business feeling it had no power to legislate it (CSUN).” Groups like
International Ladies Garment Workers Union and Women’s Trade Union League
fought for better working conditions. Innovation changed the way factories were
build. Innovation made safer working conditions.
Sweatshops before 1911 were easily
described by low wages, long hours, and dangerous working conditions. Max
Blanck and Isaac Harris owned the Asch building. Blanck and Harris had a
“personal business.” Sadly, factory was in the hands of workers who did not
follow through with workers rights and forced unsafe working conditions. They
could treat workers however they wanted to without being punished. Owners hired
people to pick workers and pocket a portion of the profits. The subcontractors
could pay the workers whatever they felt like. A few weeks before the fire,
workers had been forgotten in Americas industrial machine. After the fire,
communication allowed for a better future interaction between the worker and
the boss.
After the fire, workers went to
Union quarters to demand Harris and Blanck be brought to trial. “Role that
strong unions could have in helping prevent tragedies became clear. Workers
organized in Unions would be more aware of their rights and ability to obtain
safe working conditions. (Cornell).” Many organizations came together to help
families cope. Executive board members of Ladies Waist and Dress Makers union
met to plan relief for survivors and families of the fire. The Joint Relief
Committee came together with American Red Cross and provided 30, 000 dollars.
The fire persuaded people with power to take action against the dangerous
practices in the factories.
“If you ask the average American worker,
‘“Is it okay for workers to work in a shop where the conditions are so
dangerous that it could cost them their lives and not have government
intervene,”’ most people would say ‘“No. There’s a line.’” The Triangle Fire
drew that line. It burned that line, really, into the nation’s conscience
(Annelise Orleck).” State and federal laws were put in place because of this. Unions
gained workers who wanted to fight for their safety. Collaboration that
instance combined with a few smaller situations made a big enough statement
that something had to be done to protect the workforce.
The Factory Fire killed a ton of
people because owners locked their workers in until the day was over. When the
fire happened they could not get out. This fire made the world realize that the
work force needed safety laws. It put work safety laws in motion that are still
used today.
JWA-Triangle
Shirtwaist Fire
I found this site the least helpful. I did not use it as much as the other sources. It did not have much information on what I was looking for. Just the Jewish views.
I found this site the least helpful. I did not use it as much as the other sources. It did not have much information on what I was looking for. Just the Jewish views.
This source was helpful, yet I did not use it as much as the last three sources. There was to much information compacted into one big paper, that continued to go on and on about the same thing.
I used CSUN to get an exact number of deaths during the fire. This website provided me with the exact number of bodies found and people that jumped.
This is the most credible site. The video provided me with a visual aspect of it all. This was my favorite because I am a visual learner.
This source was also very precise and credible! It separated each aspect of the fire into a different category which made it easier to learn.
Cornell-
Remembering The 1911 Triangle Factory Fire
This source provided me with information no other website provided. It talked about the mourning and protest after the fire, relief work, and investigation and trial. This source went above and beyond.
This source provided me with information no other website provided. It talked about the mourning and protest after the fire, relief work, and investigation and trial. This source went above and beyond.
![]() |
| This image shows the Factory before the fire |
![]() |
| This is a newspaper article talking about fire |
USH
Textbook
I did not use my text book as much as I wish I did.
I did not use my text book as much as I wish I did.
![]() |
| This image shows the protest outside of the Factory. |
![]() |
| This image shows the inside of the Factory after the fire |
![]() |
| This image shows the dead young women who jumped to escape the fire. |





This was really good! I loved your pictures!
ReplyDeleteYou did a good job of talking about communication, persuasion, and collaboration. Good paper!
ReplyDeleteAshley, this paper is amazing!! Very well written and great evidence to support your thoughts!
ReplyDeleteAll the numbers helped make how tragic the fire was more evident. Also the pictures are sad but showed the devastation. Good job Ash!
ReplyDeleteThis is so good!! I like your sources and the factual information you had! Good Job!
ReplyDeleteThat fire was so tragic i wanna cri.
ReplyDelete